Sunday, May 8, 2011

Picture of the Day

So far I have actually posted a picture every day....for the past three days.... which perhaps isn't the most impressive track record, but nevertheless I'm glad I've been able to keep up :) Who knows how I long I will continue...



For today I have a photograph I took at a Santeria store in my neighborhood.



I've learned from my Caribbean Lit class and by doing a little bit of research that Santeria is an African/Caribbean religion, which blends Christianity with more traditional tribal religion and things like voodoo. I'm no expert though.... you can learn all about it at http://santeriareligion101.com/! It's pretty fascinating.

Anyway, I took this photograph at this Santeria store, which was crammed full of religious statues, candles, mysterious love potion sorts of things, creepy statues of heads with eyes made out of cowrie shells, and much much more...it was quite the place. A few months ago they had a big fire at the store that was pretty serious and devastating...but apparently the large religious statues in the window did not burn to a crisp, which was quite puzzling and mysterious! I'd love to go back and take more photographs if they re-open.

I'm thinking of putting this photograph in my end-of-year photography portfolio, too....thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment