Monday, May 9, 2011

Salaam Bombay!

I just finished Mira Nair's Salaam Bombay!, which I had heard much praise about. It did not dissapoint! It was definitely a change from the newer, glitzier Indian movies I have been watching lately. The film was dedicated to the street children of Bombay, and told the very sad and haunting story of a young street child named Krishna. Definitely a heart-tugging, thought provoking movie. I have recently thought a little bit about possibly working with non-profits and street children in India for a while at some point in my life, so it was interesting to watch.
I kept a notebook by my side while I watched to try to catch some Hindi-which was somewhat difficult, because the actors all speak so fast! But here is some of what I picked up:
हिंदी बात नहीं आता? Don't speak Hindi?
मैं कुछ करेगा- I'll do something
ठीक है जायेगा- It will be alright

I also thought I picked up the word for sexy- जिक्नी (jikni) ? But I looked it up on google translate and it came up as a non-existent word...hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment